Monday, October 31, 2011

Magic Monday - How to Become Sherlock Holmes

I've studied Sherlock Holmes for the past two years. Here's a small snippet from the first part of my notes to get you on your way:

I would have to say that this next paragraph from Watson is the best way to describe the Sherlock Holmes character.

“I trust that I am not more dense than my neighbours, but I was always oppressed with a sense of my own stupidity in my dealings with Sherlock Holmes. Here I had heard what he had heard, I had seen what he has seen, and yet from his words it was evident that he saw clearly not only what had happened but what was about to happen, while to me the whole business was still confused and grotesque.”

Here's an example of Holmes at work; giving a very, very simple impression such as “I perceive that your bedroom window is upon the right hand side.” What's most fascinating about Holmes, to me, is not that first impression he gives, but his explanation as to how he perceived it:

“My dear fellow, I know you well. I know the military neatness which characterizes you. You shave every morning, and in this season you shave by the sunlight: but since your shaving is less and less complete as we get farther back on the left side, until it becomes positively slovenly as we get round the angle of the jaw, it is surely very clear that that side is less illuminated than the other. I could not imagine a man of your habits looking at himself in an equal light and being satisfied with such a result. I only quote this as a trivial example of observation and inference…. There are one or two minor points which were brought out in the inquest and which are worth considering.”

Sherlock Holmes seems to work around a certain aspect of things to predict. He will predict strange body flaws, facial traits, psychological ticks, and careers.

Remember that Sherlock Holmes is a character himself, he is not a real person. Think of what you do and who you are as though you were a mystery novel writer, Sir Conan Doyle himself. Write the events in an interesting, fascinating, and believable (enough) manner. That is what is truly important. Name unique, wild, and wonderful impressions that come to mind

No comments:

Post a Comment