Monday, July 11, 2011

Magic Monday - A Look Inside



On Mondays I usually sit back with some music on and any distractions put away in order to work on routines and come up with new magic effects. This Monday I have the day off from work as well, which is great. However, since I'm still new to Texas and don't have a lot of things to do (and my mind wanders during a ten hour work shift) I've been thinking of magic much longer than just my Mondays. So instead of trying to come up with something new, I am working on simply improving my current routines and performances.

I thought that I would give you a little behind the scenes into this process.

I've not performed to any of my intimate friends for a while, so I'm looking to get back into that. I'm also looking to move away from PERFORMING and more into an area where magic is allowed to happen and it is part of the environment.

With those thoughts comes a mental shift, and that is away from my deck of cards. I'm starting to feel some tendonitis and similar things and I need to take an approach away from the constant sleight of hand performances. However, I constantly have a deck of cards on me because I always want to be doing magic - hence the shift towards creating magic in any environment instead.

My ideas start as a sentence, a question, or a thought. Sometimes I try to answer or expound on them right away, but most of the time I just write it down and move on. Later I find myself coming back to that thought with a new insight or idea. I gather all my thoughts and take a shower, allowing the ideas to sort of simmer. I notice that after the shower I have the direction that I want to go firmly in mind.

Hopefully you'll see these shifts in all my future acts of magic.

With that said, there is four weeks left until I announce my 2012 magic "stunt." I will be working on that further today as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment